Implantable Contact Lens
|Visit Our Blog|
The Visian ICL (Implantable Contact Lens)
Your Texas Visian ICL eye surgeons
If you are a highly myopic patient, you have probably been to see an eye doctor quite a few times. The doctors at Slade & Baker Vision Center are proud to offer an alternative to thick and restrictive glasses known as the Visian ICL. The Visian ICL is also called the Implantable Collamer Lens and was created by STAAR® Surgical.
About Visian ICL
The Visian ICL or Implantable Collamer Lens is a long-lasting solution for myopia. The Visian ICL offers excellent quality of vision and is commonly referred to as the"HD" or"High Definition Lens."
Dr. Slade was actually the lead investigator, medical director and presented the data to the FDA for approval of this product. Much like LASIK, Dr. Slade also has the longest experience with the ICL in the US.
The ICL is a small, injectable lens inserted through a tiny incision. Once it unfolds within the eye, it is tucked in behind the iris, or colored part of the eye, where it rests in front of the eye’s natural lens. Unlike regular contact lenses, a patient will not feel them in their eyes. These lenses are unnoticeable to both the patient and any observer and, if necessary can be removed and/or replaced if your refractive error changes.
Because these lenses are implanted inside the eye, the procedure is usually performed in a sterile, outpatient surgical suite and takes about 15 minutes. One eye is operated at a time, with the second eye usually done within a week or so.
The Visian ICL Advantages
- Quality of Vision – The Visian ICL produces not only improved visual acuity, but also excellent visual quality. Many patients experience the"Wow" factor when they experience the immediate improvement in the quality of their vision.
- Biocompatibility – Collamer, the 100 percent pure collagen copolymer lens material of the Visian ICL, is not viewed as aforeign object by the body's immune system.
- Versatility – The Visian ICL offers a wider treatment range for myopia than LASIK and PRK procedures. This is the reason why many patients who are not LASIK candidates choose the Visian ICL.
- Simplicity – Unlike traditional contact lenses, once the Visian ICL is implanted in the eye, there is no additional maintenance needed.
- Lens Placement – The placement of the Visian ICL makes the lens invisible to the patient and any observer.
- Removable – The Visian ICL was designed to be permanently placed in the eye. However, the lens can be removed if a patient's vision changes or if it otherwise needs to be removed or replaced.
If you are tired of very thick and restrictive glasses, if you don't want to wear your contact lenses any longer, or if you are highly myopic and have been told you are not a LASIK candidate, please consider the Visian ICL as an option. Dr. Slade will be happy to discuss the potential benefits of this revolutionary lens implant as well as our Visian ICL success stories. For more information please visit the Visian ICL website or call us at 713-626-5544 and ask about the Visian ICL.