Am I a Candidate?
Am I a good candidate for vision correction?
LASIK is a procedure that has provided millions of people with clear vision, but not everyone is considered a candidate for a laser vision correction procedure. In order to be considered a candidate for LASIK, you should meet certain criteria. A list of LASIK requirements can be found below, but it is important that you still meet with your eye doctor to discuss your specific vision correction needs. Because Slade & Baker Vision doctors use many different technologies to improve vision, people who are not candidates for LASIK or laser vision correction often have the option of other technologies, such as refractive lens exchange or implanted collamer lens (ICL).
Do you meet the following LASIK Requirements?
- I’m nearsighted, farsighted, or have astigmatism.
- I’m between the age of 18 and 60.
- My vision has been stable for at least 2 years.
- I have no significant eye problems, or health issues that may affect my eyes.
During your appointment our doctors will perform a thorough LASIK evaluation to make sure that you are a qualified candidate for LASIK. Since each set of eyes is unique, there is no way to actually determine your candidacy for LASIK until you have had your pre-operative LASIK evaluation. The pre-operative evaluation will involve a series of diagnostic tests. Below is a list of some items that are typically involved with the evaluation process:
- Complete review of the overall health of the eye
- The measurement of corneal thickness and shape, including corneal topography
- Complete review of glasses and contact lens history
- The measurement of your prescription and refractive error in each eye
- Dilation of the eyes to check the health of the retina and optic nerve
- Dilation will also help determine the actual absolute power of the eye
- Custom LASIK measurement for higher order aberrations
- Dry eye test
- Measurement of pupil size in a very dark room
To discover if LASIK is right for you, take our self test below.
Once you’ve completed your pre-operative evaluation, your Slade & Baker doctor will determine your candidacy for LASIK or another laser vision correction procedure.