One important thing to remember when considering vision correction is that eyes are unique. Slade & Baker eye doctors will evaluate your eyes to determine the best way to achieve your visual goals. While LASIK is the most familiar name in Laser Vision Correction, SMILE, PRK and the EVO Visian ICL are other methods of Laser Vision Correction that are occasionally better for some patients.
At Slade & Baker, our doctors consider selecting the best type of laser vision correction a key part of making a personalized plan for each patient. That’s why Dr. Slade offers multiple types of vision correction.
What Is PRK?
Photo-Refractive Keratectomy (PRK) may be the best choice for vision correction in some patients. The procedure is very similar to that of LASIK, but no flap is created. During PRK, the surface cells of the cornea, called the epithelium, are removed. The surgeon then uses the excimer laser to reshape the cornea to your customized prescription. Laser treatment usually lasts an average of 30 seconds depending on the amount of correction necessary. A soft contact lens is placed on the eye to act as a “bandage” to promote the comfort and healing of the surface cells. This contact lens will be removed by the doctor within 4-7 days after the surgery.
PRK VS. LASIK
LASIK and PRK have very similar outcomes, with PRK taking slightly longer to heal. Slade & Baker Vision also ran the FDA clinical trial for PRK approval.
Ideal PRK Candidates
- People who are 18 and older with a history of stable vision
- People who are nearsighted, farsighted, and/or have astigmatism
- No evidence of corneal disease or certain autoimmune conditions
Item not found
EVO VISIAN ICL: Implantable Contact Lens
The EVO Visian ICL is an implantable contact lens which corrects vision without removing any corneal tissue. It is a particularly good solution for people with thin corneas, dry eyes, or a high prescription. Slade & Baker Vision has been implanting Visian ICL’s since the first clinical trials for FDA approval. During EVO ICL surgery, the surgeon inserts a micro-thin lens in front of the eye’s natural lens. Because the ICL is placed between the iris and the natural lens, it is removable in the future.
Ideal EVO Visian ICL Candidates
- People who are 21 and older with a history of stable vision
- People who have moderate to high nearsightedness with or without astigmatism
- People with dry eyes, thin corneas or corneal dystrophies can all do just as well as people with “normal” eyes. The EVO Visian ICL is a very safe surgery and does not alter the corneal thickness.
Key Benefits of the EVO Visian ICL
- Excellent Night Vision
- Great option for those who already have Dry Eye
- Protection from UV Rays
- No Removal of Corneal Tissue
- The collamer material of the lens works in harmony with the eye’s optics to focus the image
SMILE, or Small Incision Lenticule Extraction, is another method of vision correction that removes an amount of tissue very similar to LASIK and PRK. Slade & Baker Vision was one of the sites for the clinical trial that led to FDA approval for SMILE. We are happy to discuss all these options with you to help find your best choice. Please call us today at 713-626-5544 for a complimentary refractive screening to determine the best option for you!
The doctors at Slade and Baker Vision have either authored or reviewed and approved this content.